BACKGROUND OF PROGRAM
Childhood Malnutrition is a major cause of child mortality in India and contributes to childhood illness. Three-Fifths of Children under the age of 5 are stunted or too short for their age, indicating that they have been malnourished for some time. 25% are waster or underweight for their height, which could be due to lack of proper nutrition or diet. Furthermore, the traditional teaching methods has been changed to long screen time for Children due to COVID which has resulted in number of Vision Issues & Refractive Errors. The rural areas are worst affected due to lack of awareness & medical facilities, where especially School going children are the often victims due to lack of awareness or Health Check-ups which results in number of diseases and infections.
Health check-ups in school are important as they help:
- To assess normal development of the child
- To keep track of immunization schedule
- Early detection of disease / abnormalities, which when treated in time, allows the child to lead a normal life
- This preventive check-up data becomes the baseline for future reference
Services Offered under School Health Program
The basic objective of Program is to provide a thorough Health Check-Up to a School Going Child assess its development & growth alongwith early detection of diseases/abnormalities, which when treated in time, allows the child to lead a normal life. This preventive check-up data becomes the baseline for future reference. The Foundation provides following Services under the “School Eye & Health Check-Up Program”:
- Physical Examination of Children like Weight, Height & BMI
- Dental Examination of Children
- Distribution of Calcium, Iron and Vitamin Supplements among Children.
- Pre Psychotic Consultation of Children
- Distribution of Pamphlets to create awareness about Respiratory Diseases like Tuberculosis & COPO etc, for prevention and available treatment.
- Screening of Children for Eye Diseases & Vision etc.
- Distribution of Vision Glasses to Children of Power ranging from -1.00 to - 4.00
- Distribution of Refreshments like Juice, Biscuits etc to all Screened Children’s